Friday, April 13, 2012

Digital Citizens Unite Invitation Event Report

So this past Wednesday, the "Digital Citizens Unite" Event was enacted in the Tanner Building, broadcasting to an online audience as well as to a live audience.  In order to make this the huge success it was, I made many efforts to bring intellectual minds as well as friends to this major event.

I first personally invited Willard Snow, a teacher of graphic design at the San Francisco Art Institute and freelance graphic artist.  Because the Arts group discusses the changes in art mediums, he was very interested in how technology currently affects the arts.  Willard was able to personally attend the event, and responded very positively about how revolutionary the concepts and ideas are.

I also invited David Burton, a manager at the company Vivint, and his wife Emma Burton, who are both close friends of mine.  They were unable to attend the presentation in person, but they did watch it through the live Webcast, and also responded very positively.

I aso invited my roommate Drew Rupard, who loves the arts very deeply.  She was able to only watch the beginning of the presentation because she had previous commitments later, but she enjoyed the openness and arts groups immensely.

I invited Christopher Lancaster, a music major and another lover of the arts to the presentation as well.  He was able to attend the presentation personally, and he loved the concepts that were displayed in the presentation- especially the concept of openness.

I also personally invited Hattie Woods, Brendan Smith, Haley Schuster, Priscilla Cancado, and Micah Clemence, fellow freshmen and hall mates, but they were all bound by previous commitments and were unable to come to the presentation.

Lastly, I invited my mother and my brother to the event to attend via webcast.  They were both unable to watch the video, however because of previous commitments as well.

Overal, I was able to get five out of the twelve people I personally invited to attend the major event, which is almost fifty percent.  Although less than half of the people came, I am glad that people who were actually very interested in these digital concepts were able to come.

Along with personally inviting 12 people to come to this event, I also promoted the presentation in front of my entire ward, asking them to come to the presentation.  I also invited many friends to the event through the "Facebook Event" page, as well as promoted the presentation through frequent status updates on Facebook.  Hopefully, thanks to these additional efforts, I was able to get some people to watch the event from their computer.

For the presentation itself, I contributed to the presentation by rapping about the current century, and the different aspects of technology vs. the arts.  For the presentation, I memorized the lyrics(though stage fright unfortunately made me temporarily lose that memory) and rapped in front of the entire group.  I am glad that I was able to be a creative part of this presentation and help express the effects of technology on the arts.


No comments:

Post a Comment