Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Coming All Together

John Winthrop gave a most famous speech when the Puritans first landed in the strange, new land of America.  He mentioned the importance that his Massachusetts Bay Colony be a perfect community.  This small group of families were to be examples for the whole world to see and emulate.  It was called "City Upon a Hill," which comes from the Book of Matthew in the Bible.  He believed this nation was to be the moral and civil example of a perfect community, and everything he did was to help further this cause.

I look at all my past blogs, and I can definitely see an emphasis on great moments in American History.  Maybe it is because I loved my AP US class in high school, or maybe it is because I love America itself(which I am still not sure about), but despite the reason, there is still the emphasis.

I spoke about President Lincoln, and his somewhat controversial control of the government.  I also spoke about the Constitutional Convention, and the hard decisions they made in creating the government we have today.  I mention American daily life in the 20th Century, and I also mention democratic beauty that disallows authoritarian leaders to take control of our nation.  And my favorite mention of American history is Horatio Alger Jr.'s novels that were sold in the late 19th and early 20th century, which gave a large degree of false hope to many poor young boys who shelled out their life savings for one of the books.

I think I enjoy writing about huge moments in American History because these huge events were caused by decisions made by government leaders and president.  They had to choose this course of history on their own.  They were able to lead our nation, at least to some degree, successfully.  And I am living in that nation now, and a part of the results of their choices.  And I am confident that most of our leaders today, when making these difficult decisions, wondered whether their decision would reflect a "city upon a hill" or a "city lying on a ditch."

No comments:

Post a Comment